Gardens to visit in Scotland
Here are some links to gardens to visit, either locally or whist on holiday in Scotland. The sites we list include other sites recommending gardens as well as individual gardens.
The gardens listed include gardens which have limited access for people to visit, as well as other gardens open to the public all the year round - so check the opening times of particular gardens before going.
General Open Garden sites
British Red Cross Open Gardens programme offers a rare opportunity to explore the secrets of some hidden and private gardens not usually open to the public.
Garden History and Garden Tours - International guide to gardens to visit - Includes large number of UK gardens.
The National Trust for Scotland - The National Trust for Scotland has over 100 places to visit, ranging from grand castles to the scenes of epic battles and glorious gardens to spectacular islands. Use the search engine on the website to find places to visit.
Visit the gardens of North of Scotland - Include photographs and descriptions.Top
Gardens to visit in Scotland
location: Poolewe, Ross-shire, IV22 2LG
- This is for all who appreciate beautiful ornamental and woodlands gardens. it has outstanding plant collections from every corner of The world. They include spectacular rhododendrons, azalias, trees and shrubs. The wide lawn, flowering terraces and herbaceous Borders and much more of Inverewe House are open to The public. They make very attractive photogenic areas.website: https://www.nts.org.uk/visit/p....
Royal Botanic Garden, Benmore
location: Dunoon, Argyll, PA23 8QU
- In the wonderful woodland setting of the Eachaig Valley lies Benmore, a Garden steeped in history and surrounded by dramatic scenery. Benmore boasts a world-famous collection of magnificent conifers, flowering trees and shrubs.website: https://www.rbge.org.uk/visit/....
Royal Botanic Garden, Dawyck
location: Stobo, Near Peebles, Scottish Borders, EH45 9JU
- Dawyck Botanic Garden has a stunning collection of trees and shrubs. Benefiting from the cooler continental environment in the heart of the Scottish Borders, and from over 300 years of tree planting, Dawyck is truly one of the world's finest arboreta.website: https://www.rbge.org.uk/visit/....
Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh
location: Inverleith Row, Arboretum Place, Edinburgh, EH3 5LR
- Known locally as the 'Botanics' and established way back in 1670, Scotland's Premier Garden is one of the UK's favourite attractions. Originally founded as a physic garden in Holyrood, the Garden moved to Leith and finally, settled and expanded in Inverleith in 1820.website: https://www.rbge.org.uk/visit/....
Royal Botanic Garden, Logan
location: Port Logan, Stranraer, Dumfries & Galloway, DG9 9ND
- Logan lies at the south -western tip of Scotland, and it is unrivalled as the country's most exotic garden. Because of the influence of the Gulf Stream, a remarkable collection of bizarre and beautiful plants flourishes outside, making this Garden a plantsman's paradise. Wonder at the groves of eucalypts and at the Gunnera Bog in the Woodland Garden. Enjoy the brilliant blooms of southern hemisphere plants in the Walled Garden.website: https://www.rbge.org.uk/visit/....
location: Castle Douglas, Dumfries & Galloway, DG7 1RX
- 60 acres (24 hectares) of pleasantly wooded parkland now developed as a show garden open to the public include rose garden, woodland garden, small heath garden, and peat garden.website: https://www.nts.org.uk/visit/p....
location: Glasserton, Whithorn, Newton Stewart, Dumfries and Galloway, DG8 8LY
- Stepping through the small, arched doorway that marks the only entrance is like entering a different world. The walls and surrounding woodland provide shelter and give a sense of security, serenity and seclusion. The garden is divided by internal walls into 3 areas all approximately one acre in size. Woodfall has been extensively reclaimed from a derelict state by the 2 previous owners and this work is being continued by the present occupants.website: http://www.woodfall-gardens.co....
[Back to top]